Your Cart

Your cart is empty

Home  >  Volume 46 (May, 2018)

37. ASSESSMENT OF LEVEL OF COMPLIANCE OF QUALITY CONTROL PROGRAM OF SOME X-RAY UNITS IN SOUTHWESTERN NIGERIAWITH THE STANDARD TOLERANCE LIMIT by Olowookere C.J., Aladeniyi K., Jibiri N.N. and Adeyemi F.O. Volume 46 (May, 2018 Issue), pp273 –280
Sale price: $5.00
Quantity:

ASSESSMENT OF LEVEL OF COMPLIANCE OF QUALITY CONTROL PROGRAM OF SOME X-RAY UNITS IN SOUTHWESTERN NIGERIAWITH THE STANDARD TOLERANCE LIMIT

Olowookere C.J., Aladeniyi K., Jibiri N.N. and Adeyemi F.O.

Department of Physics, AjayiCrowther University, Oyo Town.

Department of Physics, Federal University of Technology, Akure.

Radiation and Health Physics Laboratory, Department of Physics, University of Ibadan.

Department of Radiology, Lagos State Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.

Abstract

Quality control (QC) test is an integral part of quality assurance (QA) program.  In diagnostic radiology, QA involves an organized effort by the staff operating the facility to ensure that the diagnostic images produced by the facilities are of sufficiently high quality so that they constantly provide diagnostic information at the lowest possible cost and with the least possible exposure of patient to radiation. This study presents the result of quality control test carried out in six x-ray facilities in southwestern Nigeria. Results indicate that the radiation output range between 0.1825 and 0.6120 mGy (mAs)-1 at tube potential of 80 kV and tube load of 10 mAs. Additionally, QC tests of x-ray units show that four of the x-ray units falls within the acceptable limit of 5%, while the coefficient of variation (CV) of two of the machines investigated were found to be higher than the acceptable limit required of good output of x-ray tube. The results show that 66.7% of the tested x-ray units fall within the recommended tolerance limit, while the remaining 33.3% failed the recommended tolerance limit requirement of the regulatory bodies. Adjustment of the facilities that fall short of the tolerance limits was recommended to ensure their optimal performance and patient dose optimization. 

Keywords: Quality assurance, quality control, quality assurance, diagnostic radiology, southwestern, tolerance limit.

click here to download full Abstract
Close
Loading...